Re: PHP and SQL Server

At 16:24 23/09/2008, you wrote:
> We have done limited testing here, but it may be that only the PHP server
> requires the 2005 (ODBC driver) components. Could be worth investigating.

Hey - if it gets me back to developing apps and away from working with
database libraries and abstractions, I'm all for it. I'd like to
upgrade, but one of the concerns we had was the possibility that we
wouldn't be able to connect past 2005. One of our concerns with the
old MSSQL functions is that we really don't want to have to rewrite
stuff when we do upgrade the database.

The SQL 2005 client and admin tools connect and manage SQL2000 servers - we do that here with SQL2k SP4. By inference the SQL2k ntwlib.dll also connects to SQL2005 (SP2) (otherwise our PHP database access would be zero), but I don't think the SQL2000 management tools like SQL2005 (understandable).

I'd be inclined to test a 2k client only install against a copy of your database on a 2005 server "just to see" as this could open up the upgrade route and a lot of other options to boot. (buy a 2006 developer edition license to test with - it's only £40 or so and has the same feature set as STD edition).

> There is also "php_dblib.dll" from http://kromann.info/php.php, but compile
> support for win32 is limited. This replaces the mssql_* functions with
> versions that use the FreeTDS dblib driver rather than the old MS-based one.
> In theory it works OK and supports unicode, but we've seen reliability
> issues when under load and/or running certain queries.

You're really building my confidence now. :-)

Sorry =)

> The currently available pre-built DLL is using FreeTDS version 0.64, the
> latest available is 0.82, with some important fixes in.

I had heard there were issues with FreeTDS (perhaps only on Windows)
and that is also wasn't quite production quality.

I've kept an eye on the freetds lists and 0.82+ looks like it's getting there. Things got easier when MS was forced to document the TDS protocol by the EU.

> I nearly got the extension to compile but never cracked it fully before time
> ran out.

Yeah - time is definitely a factor. I know since we're on Windows
there is always COM to hook into ADO, but that just seems sticky. It's
starting to seem like maybe I need to brush up on .NET. :-/

COM is fun - you'll need a wrapper class to identify column types and cast them to PHP though, otherwise datetime columns and stuff get funny (well, they did here).

Jason