Re: Setcookie()

On 12 Oct 2008, at 23:51, Micah Gersten wrote:
The question is, why aren't you using a session variable instead of
cookies?  That's one of the greatest features of PHP.

If you're able to use cookies instead of sessions, and the size of the data you're storing is fairly small, it's always better to use cookies. Sessions complicate scalability.

Ben: The *only* restriction around use of setcookie is that there cannot be any *output* before it. You can have as much code as you want as long as it doesn't output anything. If your script outputs content before your business logic is done then (IMHO) it's wrong and needs to be rewritten anyway, regardless of the need to set a cookie.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/

Ben Stones wrote:
What I mean is I cannot use setcookie, I need to check if user credentials are correct first (which is BEFORE setcookie) and if so, set a cookie. I can't do that unless setcookie is first, but I need to check if the user credentials is correct. Furthermore I cannot use setcookie in the header as I want to display a message saying that they have successfully logged in in
the correct area of my template.