Re: Login

On 8 Oct 2008, at 22:32, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 22:15 +0100, Stut wrote:
I don't disagree that it's not the best model, but it is the best
paying
I have to disagree. Each and every time I've come across this, I've gone
elsewhere. The model doesn't work as far as I can tell.

It's not the best model but I can assure you it *does* work otherwise advertisers would not pay the rates such campaigns demand.

I think the
problem is the people who create the schemes aren't really aware of what
the Internet can do; something similar to that guy in marketing asking
why it's not possible to duplicate his A4 page, exactly as he set it
out, as a web page. I don't have a better model, but something like that
that's used on Experts Exchange doesn't go too badly with me. Targeted
ads that don't get in my way. I'm more inclined to look at something
that isn't shoved in my face.

Like I said, I don't disagree, but you have to accept that ads that interrupt the user pay the best so for sites that are expensive to run, like download sites, they're economically sound.

I find it interesting that you feel you have the right to criticise the "people who create the schemes" for not knowing any better, but you with all your knowledge "of what the internet can do" admit that you can't come up with a better model.

Obviously, I'm a programmer, so I probably don't fall into the 'normal'
category for advertising ;)

You may think that but I've never come across any statistics that suggest that programmers or even technical people in general have a lower response rate to any form of advertising. I'm sure they are differences, but as a percentage of internet users we're insignificant for most websites these days, even when it comes to games.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/