Re: Login

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 21:45 +0100, Stut wrote:
> On 8 Oct 2008, at 21:44, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 16:33 -0400, Wolf wrote:
> >> <!-- SNIP -->
> >>
> >> Wait, Yahell has guidelines?!?!?
> >>
> >> You always have to look at the User Experience.  You don't want to
> >> annoy or p!ss off your users or they will find a site like yours
> >> that doesn't p!ss them off.  If it makes sense to re-direct the
> >> user after a successful login, then go ahead and do it.
> >>
> >> Of course, I don't care if I p!ss off someone who is trying to run
> >> malicious code on my site or find a hidden piece.  Then a redirect
> >> to ratemypoo seems like a good idea to me!
> >>
> >> Wolf
> >>
> > The only redirects that have p!ssed me off before are those ones that
> > big sites put in to make room for their adverts. On more than one
> > occassion I've decided to look elsewhere for whatever it was I was
> > looking for, although it tends only to be game and (legal) download
> > sites that do this.
>
> Yeah, I hate it when companies try to make a profit. Don't they know
> everything on the Internet is supposed to be free?!?!?!?
>
> Find your stuff elsewhere by all means, but don't slate sites for
> using advertising to pay for your FREE usage of their service.
>
> -Stut
>
> PS. For those sarcasm-detector-challenged out there the first
> paragraph was full of sarcasm.

I'm not against advertising, just this kind. It makes you sit through a
30 second long advert before you get to the sweet stuff. Now, I don't
have a bandwidth limit, but what about those users who do? Inline
adverts are better, and Google has them worked to a tee. If the model
doesn't work for the big companies then, it's time to find a new model,
but I think one in which the visitors to a site are treated like TV
viewers is not the way to go.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk