Re: How to submit form via PHP

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:33:41 -0500, Richard Lynch wrote:

> Actually, I believe action="" submitting to the same URL is *documented* HTTP spec behavior.
>
> I welcome correction/confirmation if somebody wants to wade through the docs again...

HTML 4.01 says:

    action = uri [CT]
    This attribute specifies a form processing agent. User agent
    behavior for a value other than an HTTP URI is undefined.

The "uri" is a reference to RFC 2396, which says:

    4.2. Same-document References

    A URI reference that does not contain a URI is a reference to the
    current document.  In other words, an empty URI reference within a
    document is interpreted as a reference to the start of that document,

[For some reason, the syntax does not allow empty URI
 references. However, RFC 2396 has been obsoleted by
 RFC 3986 which /does/ allow empty URI references.]

[And yes, the HTML spec should probably refer to URI
 *references* rather than URIs...]

On the other hand, I seem to recall that it has been
rumoured that some have claimed that browser support
for empty action attribute is (or was) patchy.
I don't know.

/Nisse