Re: calling functions from one or multiple files

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 20:32 +0300, Thodoris wrote:

> > > When not using a framework (eg. Cake) i also usually keep a single file
> > > and include it. I think it depends on how many functions you have. If
> > > you've got a really huge functions.php and most of them are used only in
> > > one or two scripts, then you probably shouldn't be loading it into every
> > > script. Otherwise, i wouldn't be too concerned about it.
> > >
> > > Of course, you should also think about using classes if that makes sense
> > > for what you're doing.
> > >

> > I tend to try and group functions I use on a site, with common ones
> > going into a generic functions.php file. This avoid the problems of
> > overly large function files included on every page, as chances are you
> > won't need every function.
> >

> > Ash
> > www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> >

> I was using the same method until now but functions.php grew so much
> that made my life difficult. The solution was to break down this file
> into smaller files that each included a category like:
> web.php
> db.php
> math.php
> client.php
> user.php
> session.php
> etc.
>
> This made my life easier since I can edit and maintain the separate
> files more efficiently and I didn't have to include the whole API
> every time but only the files I really need. A good thing was to put
> these files into a separate dir which I named include.
>
> Same thing applies to classes I guess which is probably the next step.
>

> Thodoris
Ah maybe I wasn't clear but that's what I meant by grouping the
functions. Generic ones that are used on all pages go into functions.php
and others go into other function includes. So I might have one that
deals with my blog, other for images, etc, depending on the project in
question.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk