Re: calling functions from one or multiple files

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 12:37 -0400, b wrote:
> Lamp Lists wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Right now I use one file, usually called functions.php, with all functions I'm going to use most likely on every page.
> > Then, I create each function I'm going to use once in a while as separate file.
> > Pro: I would include a function when I'm going to use.
> > Con: I have to write extra include line to call function. And have bunch of files (functions) in function folder.
> >
> > I was talking to co-workers few days ago and they said I complicate my
> > life to much and putting ALL functions in one file is just fine and
> > I'll not be able to see difference in "real situations".
> >

> When not using a framework (eg. Cake) i also usually keep a single file
> and include it. I think it depends on how many functions you have. If
> you've got a really huge functions.php and most of them are used only in
> one or two scripts, then you probably shouldn't be loading it into every
> script. Otherwise, i wouldn't be too concerned about it.
>
> Of course, you should also think about using classes if that makes sense
> for what you're doing.

I tend to try and group functions I use on a site, with common ones
going into a generic functions.php file. This avoid the problems of
overly large function files included on every page, as chances are you
won't need every function.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk