Re: calling functions from one or multiple files

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 12:37 -0400, b wrote:
Lamp Lists wrote:
Hi,
Right now I use one file, usually called functions.php, with all functions I'm going to use most likely on every page.
Then, I create each function I'm going to use once in a while as separate file.
Pro: I would include a function when I'm going to use.
Con: I have to write extra include line to call function. And have bunch of files (functions) in function folder.

I was talking to co-workers few days ago and they said I complicate my
life to much and putting ALL functions in one file is just fine and
I'll not be able to see difference in "real situations".

When not using a framework (eg. Cake) i also usually keep a single file and include it. I think it depends on how many functions you have. If you've got a really huge functions.php and most of them are used only in one or two scripts, then you probably shouldn't be loading it into every script. Otherwise, i wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Of course, you should also think about using classes if that makes sense for what you're doing.

I tend to try and group functions I use on a site, with common ones
going into a generic functions.php file. This avoid the problems of
overly large function files included on every page, as chances are you
won't need every function.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

I was using the same method until now but functions.php grew so much that made my life difficult. The solution was to break down this file into smaller files that each included a category like:
web.php
db.php
math.php
client.php
user.php
session.php
etc.

This made my life easier since I can edit and maintain the separate files more efficiently and I didn't have to include the whole API every time but only the files I really need. A good thing was to put these files into a separate dir which I named include.

Same thing applies to classes I guess which is probably the next step.

Thodoris