Re: Re: Browser could not get mp3 files from http site

On Sun, 2008-09-21 at 10:02 -0400, tedd wrote:
> At 2:24 PM +0100 9/21/08, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> >
> >The bgsound tag is not in HTML 4 or XHTML 1 specifications, and I
> >wouldn't recommend its use, ever.
>

> I didn't say it was, nor did I recommend it -- I only pointed out the
> embed tag was for Netscape and bgsound tag was used for other
> browsers.
>
> >Like I've said before on this thread,
> >the way to do this is with an embed tag inside an object tag, pretty
> >much the same way you'd do it for a Flash movie.
>
> With that I agree as I have done here:
>
> http://webbytedd.com/aa/assorted-captcha/
>
> The audio CAPTCHA delivers the mp3 file that's assembled in the background.
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd
> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com  http://ancientstones.com  http://earthstones.com

But your audio is delivered through Flash, which adds another layer
where things can go wrong. Playing a background sound shouldn't require
a specific plugin to work, it should be possible to make it play with
the generic audio plugin that the browser has access to. Based on hits
to my own site, about 30% are made by browsers that do not have the
Flash plugin or have it disabled. Now, this may be thrown out a little
by people visiting with Chrome, as I've yet to test my tracker there,
but it's still quite a high figure. I think you would be hard pressed to
find any browser without a plugin to play an mp3 file.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk