Re: <br> was [PHP] Re: render html

On Sun, 2008-09-21 at 09:55 -0400, tedd wrote:
> At 2:27 PM +0100 9/21/08, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> >
> >You will only get the errors you describe if you've messed up the
> >document type declaration.
>
> Ash, I know you don't mean to be insulting, but I didn't "mess up" my
> DOCTYPE -- give me some credit for knowing a little about this.
>

> >  I always use this one for my sites:
> ><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
> >"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
> >
> >and it never gives shorttag warnings or errors.
>

> Yes, IF you choose to use your DOCTYPE -- but they are other
> perfectly valid DOCTYPES for people to use -- see here:
>
> http://alistapart.com/stories/doctype
>
> My demo is here:
>
> http://www.webbytedd.com/bbbb/shorttag/
>
> There is nothing wrong with what I reported.
>
> Now, if you disagree, then prove me wrong.
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd
>
> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com  http://ancientstones.com  http://earthstones.com

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be insulting! I do agree that you will get
those errors if you choose the wrong doctype, and by wrong I mean one
that is mismatched with the types of tag you try to use. I'm guessing
that the doctype declaration was not the issue in this problem though.
The original poster mentioned that is was output from a CMS. 9 times out
of 10, problems like this can be attributed to the CMS they are output
from.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk