Re: localization folder for web site

b wrote:
Alain R. wrote:

if i use apache .htaccess to rewrite address, it still do not understand how it makes my life easier.

for example, if user run page www.myweb.com/index.php?l=en and in my .htaccess i have rewrote index.php?l=en to be rewritten as www.myweb.com/en/index.php, it means that in my index.php i must use a regex to extract /en/ variable and to convert it to a $lang variable for instance.
so isn't it easy to use www.myweb.com/index.php?l=en.

You have it backwards.The RewriteRule would direct requests such as:

/en/whatever
/fr/whatever
/es/whatever

to:

/your_script.php?l=en (or ?l=fr, etc.)

From there, your script need only extract the language param from $_GET['l'].

If a request was made directly like /your_script.php?l=fr then the RewriteRule would not be used, because the condition was not met. So, in this case, there would be absolutely no difference from the perspective of the script. The only difference, as far as the *request* goes, is that mod_rewrite has nothing to do with it.

 > what does such rewriting makes my life better ?
 > is it only such tip for search engine better referencing ?

Mostly, yes. There's also the advantage that your script may be rewritten to accept the language param in other ways (?lang=fr, ?foo=fr, etc.) and the URL needn't change, just the RewriteRule.
but in this case, my browser address bar will show me : whatever.php?l=en for example. and this is not what i want. I want that browser shows in its address bar /en/whatever, but the page whatever.php will get the parameter l=en.
so how can i do that ?