Re: Email - Best practice/advice please

2008/9/12 Aschwin Wesselius <aschwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>   Tom Chubb wrote:
>
> I have generally been using the PHP mail function for sending emails from
> contact forms on websites, but have recently had problems with a lot of
> mails being delivered to junk/spam folders.
> I've tried loads of different headers, etc and almost every contact form on
> sites I've done is different.
> I think it's time I started standardising and using an SMTP class to send
> and wanted some advice from people.
> I'm looking at the Pear Mail package and wondering whether that would be ok,
> or should I just start rolling out phpmailer on all sites, in case I start
> to put mailing lists, etc. in the future.
> Basically, what do most of you do for contact/enquiry form emails?
> TIA
>
> Tom
>

> Hi Tom,
>
> Sorry to inform you about this. But it is a best practice (and my advice)
> to first search in any archive of a forum or mailinglist before asking a
> question regarding a subject.
>
> Sending mail via a scripting language (like PHP) is a very common subject.
> Therefore an anwser to your question should be somewhere in the archives.
> I'm pretty sure the last month this topic has been started 2 times.
>
> So, I suggest that you first go about searching in the archives (of this
> mailinglist for example) and if you can't figure it out, you come back.
> --
>
> Aschwin Wesselius
>
> *'What you would like to be done to you, do that to the other....'*

Aschwin,
Thanks for your email. I do realise that and I read all messages through the
list, and always STFW and RTFM before posting. However every person's
requirements are different and I was asking for general personal opinions
rather than solutions to a specific application.
Obviously phpmailer is a very common solution as are Manuel Lemos' classes
but these might be overkill to use on simple 1 page sites that only require
a contact form.
We all know that the php mail function is pretty dire so I wanted to know
what most people do in their applications?
I'm not looking for someone to give me the code or anything so please don't
shoot me down! :)
Cheers,

Tom