    From: Shawn McKenzie <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
    To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:31:41 -0500
    Subject:  Re: New Server Install
    Shawn McKenzie wrote:

        Robbert van Andel wrote:

            I am working on a new webserver running Fedora 9.  I
            installed php-mysql and
            php-mssql via yum.  When I try to connect to our mysql
            server using php, I
            get the following error: Can't connect to MySQL server on
            'mysqlservername'
            (13)

Here's the weird part, I can connect to the mysql database
            server just fine
            from the web server's command line so I'm pretty confident
            that it's not a
            firewall issue.  While trying to connect using PHP, I see
            no packets leaving
            the webserver.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,

            Robbert

        Well, for MySQL there are multiple user perms.  In the user
        table you may see multiple entries for, let's say root.

        mysql> use mysql;
        mysql> select host,user,password from user;

        host        user    password
        *        root    *22669F8A96AC3CE42B3E5E8087893840412E035F
        localhost    root

        So, root, if accessing from localhost, requires NO paswword.
         But root, accessing from any other host requires a password.
         Also, this could have more host entries, but probably not by
        default.

        If your db server is on a different host from your web server,
        this or similar is most likely your problem.

        -Shawn

    Or, there is no * entry (all hosts).  In which case you should add
    a specific entry for your web server.

    -Shawn

I was trying to access MySQL on a remote server from an Excel spreadsheet and I think it was port 3306 but I still haven't got it working yet!
HTH

Install MyODBC and setup an ODBC connection on your PC.

-Shawn