Re: New Server Install

Shawn McKenzie wrote:
Robbert van Andel wrote:
I am working on a new webserver running Fedora 9. I installed php-mysql and php-mssql via yum. When I try to connect to our mysql server using php, I get the following error: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysqlservername'
(13)

Here's the weird part, I can connect to the mysql database server just fine from the web server's command line so I'm pretty confident that it's not a firewall issue. While trying to connect using PHP, I see no packets leaving
the webserver.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Robbert

Well, for MySQL there are multiple user perms. In the user table you may see multiple entries for, let's say root.

mysql> use mysql;
mysql> select host,user,password from user;

host        user    password
*        root    *22669F8A96AC3CE42B3E5E8087893840412E035F
localhost    root

So, root, if accessing from localhost, requires NO paswword. But root, accessing from any other host requires a password. Also, this could have more host entries, but probably not by default.

If your db server is on a different host from your web server, this or similar is most likely your problem.

-Shawn

Or, there is no * entry (all hosts). In which case you should add a specific entry for your web server.

-Shawn