Re: Re: What's with the Rx symbol?

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 9:53 AM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 2:21 PM -0400 8/30/08, Andrew Ballard wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 11:38 AM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  > I think making the URL RED would be a better warning than showing
>> PUNYCODE
>>>
>>>  -- but that's my opinion.
>>>
>>>  Cheers,
>>>
>>>  tedd
>>
>> Wait a minute - you're going to rail on for ever on another thread
>> about web in-accessibility with CAPTCHA and then you're going to
>> propose something that relies on color coding for something that
>> important? What about all those with red/green color blindness?
>>
>> Andrew
>
> Andrew:
>
> First, I don't think I "rail on forever about web accessibility" -- instead
> I simply address the concerns/questions/comments as they are presented.

Agreed, and my apologies. It definitely comes across much more harshly
in print than I intended. I was mostly just amused at the irony of you
throwing out a possible solution to one problem that flies directly in
the face of another thread that you have been discussing at the same
time.

> Second, I said highlighting mixed charset URL's in the color RED was an
> example to illustrate that solutions can be found that are different than
> showing PUNYCODE. It was not a solution I would endorse for red/green color
> blindness or for blindness. There are other ways to handle that.

There are indeed many ways to pare a feline. I was just pointing out
that ONE of those ways is reduce the size of the available symbol set
to eliminate similar or possibly misunderstood glyphs, and that seems
to be what some browsers are doing. Obviously, it's not a method that
you prefer given that it obscures the entire domain names you have,
but it is still a valid option.

Accessibility aside, it's already getting somewhat confusing to sort
out the icons and colors used in address bars as it is. (In different
versions and vendors I've seen backgrounds that include white and
light yellow, green, and red; text that is bold and not bold, black,
green, and red...) At least the lock icons are consistent, but now I
am getting familiar with the different variations of the passport
inspector in FF.

> So, please cut me some slack.
>

> Cheers,
>
> tedd