Re: PHP IDE needed

On 28 Aug 2008, at 13:59, Dotan Cohen wrote:
2008/8/28 Stut <stuttle@xxxxxxxxx>:
And as PHP is not [generally] compiled, no "IDE" is needed. VIM is
great, and for a GUI text editor I use Kate. Note that there will soon
be a VIM mode in Kate! I cannot wait!

What does compilation have to do with it? C/C++ are rarely interpreted but
that certainly doesn't dictate a need for an IDE.

Non-compiled languages need only a text editor. Text editors have
features such as code completion, library reference, code
highlighting, code folding, multiple document interface, etc.

Compiled languages need a compiler. Cooperation between the compiler
and the text editor is done in an IDE. That's what the I in
_Integrated_ Development Environment means. If you don't need to
integrate with anything (specifically, a compiler) then you don't need
an integrated development environment.

The point I was trying to make which I apparently didn't do very well was that the need for an IDE has nothing to do with whether the language you're using is compiled or interpreted, but instead with what you want from your development tools. You can develop with C++ without an IDE in exactly the same way as you can with PHP. All you're doing is replacing the PHP interpreter with a C++ compiler. That extra tool is still needed, but integration with an editor is entirely optional.

And thanks for the tasty eggs!

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/