Re: Manual Coding vs. CMS Systems

I've done quite a bit of work with Joomla, both installing/configuring as
well as customizing and building components and modules.   It's a great
system to build off of, but it's a bit of a "blank slate" that's a little
rough around the edges.    I've also done my share of hand-coding, so don't
think I'm Joomla biased.

Depending on how many gadgets the client wants working, it can be quicker to
start with Joomla and refine it.   If what they want is some very basic
functionality, it might be easier just to hand-code.

I've found that even when the site is complicated, you may get close to your
mark with Joomla (sort of like building something out of scraps you have
laying around your tool shed) but that I've never quiet totally happy with
how someone else has programmed their module/component for Joomla and end
up customizing it anyway.

I think Joomla itself could flow better and be more "professional grade" and
many of the addons for it are programmed by amateurs or by people who have
a different design sense than I do.... or flat out by people who understand
coding but not human interaction... so the addon functions, but is painful
for a human to use.

I really like hand-coding things over working with Joomla, just because I get
to control how everything comes out.  BUT.. if they're going to have a lot
of content updates and/or require a lot of functionality that's already
covered in Joomla and the many addons, then you might start there and just
customize it.     My biggest issue is that with my work, I don't have
time/budget to ever really customize Joomla to the point where it feels
"right", so I appreciate how much good it can do... I feel like I'm leaving
jobs half done sometimes.

-TG