Re: PHP IDE needed

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2008/8/28 Stut <stuttle@xxxxxxxxx>:
> >> And as PHP is not [generally] compiled, no "IDE" is needed. VIM is
> >> great, and for a GUI text editor I use Kate. Note that there will soon
> >> be a VIM mode in Kate! I cannot wait!
> >
> > What does compilation have to do with it? C/C++ are rarely interpreted
> but
> > that certainly doesn't dictate a need for an IDE.
>
> Non-compiled languages need only a text editor. Text editors have
> features such as code completion, library reference, code
> highlighting, code folding, multiple document interface, etc.
>
> Compiled languages need a compiler. Cooperation between the compiler
> and the text editor is done in an IDE. That's what the I in
> _Integrated_ Development Environment means. If you don't need to
> integrate with anything (specifically, a compiler) then you don't need
> an integrated development environment.
>
> > This question comes up so often it's painful, but I don't think I've ever
> > actually answered it. I use TextMate most of the time, Coda for remote
> > projects and occasionally Zend Studio when I need to step through code.
> I've
> > also gone through phases of using vi, vim, pico, nano, emacs, epsilon,
> kate,
> > notepad(!), notepad2, aptana, eclipse, and many more I can't remember.
> It's
> > text, use what works for you.
> >

> I've also rarely answered this question, and I don't know why I spoke up
> today.
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Well, while that is true about compiling, you're forgetting about other
things inside of an IDE, such as debugging.  Yes, you can just pull up a web
browser or run the script at command line, but the debugger also has the
stepping features and break points that can make debugging a whole lot
easier and quicker.

--
-Dan Joseph

www.canishosting.com - Plans start @ $1.99/month.

"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for the rest of the day.
Light a man on fire, and will be warm for the rest of his life."