Re: An appeal to your better nature

> Forgive me to ask, but how come that you don't have much copies of your
> work? Do you work straight on your server?

I do, via WinSCP (now). This normally would be fine, except I haven't
made any backups. Doh.

> I've got my editor (UltraEdit Studio) setup, that it makes a backup of the
> file I'm editing every 5 minutes with a timestamp and the full path. Besides
> that, we use SVN (wich is not that difficult to setup and manage).

Yes, fortunately my PEAR stuff is all fine since it is in
(unsurprisingly) PEAR cvs.

> So, if your server is your food (so to speak), you'd better take a look at
> the simple things that might rescue you some day. Nowadays there are little
> NAS devices with RAID-0 support (like My Books from Western Digital), that
> gives a good backup solution for a quick buck. Off course, you can always
> step up to better solutions and methods.....

I think from now on I'll be doing a million backups a day. Or,
alternatively, one.

> Doesn't your hosting provider has a backup facility?

My hosting provider is 1and1. Cheap but, well, nuff said I think.

> Maybe rent another
> webserver (could be virtual) and mirror it with rsync? I don't know.....
> there must be something that suits your needs.....

That would work well I think.

> I wouldn't like to loose my stuff, but I can't afford much for the best
> solutions either. It's not that my job depends on it, but personal data is a
> big loss too.

Losing stuff sucks donkey d***.

--
Richard Heyes