Re: Creating new site

I have investigated some frameworks.. Zend and Codeiginiter but I haven't done any testing/exercises. They seem to make things much more simple/faster yes...but I'm not sure how much time it will take to get know one of them(or CakePHP). And I haven't got into reading licences...I'm sure they have got licences that restricts something(or not ?) To be honest, I kinda hate all kind of licences. There are many pages info what I can and what I can't do...but I mostly like to do what I have and want to do. Also, inventing the wheel once, might give good experience or am I going slippery way ?

Shawn McKenzie wrote:
Micah Gersten wrote:
Depending on the size of the site, you might want to consider a PHP
framework to start with.  There's usually no point in reinventing the
wheel.  Someone mentioned CakePHP which utilizes MVC.  I'm looking into
porting my stuff to the Zend Framework which makes MVC optional, but has
a lot of functionality make available.

Thank you,
Micah Gersten
onShore Networks
Internal Developer
http://www.onshore.com

I too like CakePHP. I have coded in PHP for quite a while and understand OOP and OOP in PHP, however I don't really have any experience building sites or apps from scratch using OOP/MVC.

Cake or a framework makes it much quicker and easier. For those that need total freedom to do things the way they want but need some pre-built functionality to make it quicker, Zend seems to be the choice. I consider Zend to be more of a class library like PEAR only more consistant. For me, I had no habits/best practices or preferred way when I started with OOP/MVC so Cake was great. It has a certain structure and uses certain conventions and code generation which makes it very quick and easy. The main drawback is the docs.

-Shawn

Raido wrote:
Hi,

There are many sites explaining how to build new site etc but I'd like
to hear what You suggest. (about how to plan whole thing and how to
write separate parts which can be put together later)

I have build many small sites for myself(site to organise class
assembly which is like yearly convention..it has user administration
etc) but they all are anything else than OOP. But now, I need to help
with creating one bigger site which should be OOP. That site should
include user management(each user has it's own profile), each user can
post job and other adds in different categories. (there will be many
categories for example 'work,cars,training,apartments'.)
And users profile should show ads posted by himself.
Logic itself is simple:
1) unregistered user:
    a) I go to site, I see categories (work offers, apartment offers,
training offers, etc)
    b) I click on category I'm interested in
    c) I see ad that I'm interested in
    d) I click on it
    c) I see detailed information about it(which company posted it etc)
    d) at bottom page I see form where I can contact with ad author
2) registered user
    a) I go to site
    b) I log in, my profile page opens
    c) there I can see ads posted by me..also I can see how many times
ad is viewed etc
    d) i click on link 'Post new ad'
    e) there i choose category and probably Ajax helps to load
specific fields(for example if I choose 'Cars' as category, then
fields like      'year,transmission,color, etc' will appear.

That is short summary what that site should do. It seems quite big for
me so I'd be happy to hear any guidelines from people who have built
big sites.

Creating forms, posting data, user login etc, these things are not
problem... problem is: how to build the whole thing aimed to OOP and
use with Smarty to keep things organized.

I'm not sure but I have idea about what things I should do first:

1) think and write down any function that needs to be done(for example
different validations, functions for showing/posting form etc)
2) plan and create database?
3) create database class which handles database connection
But what next? Or am I starting all wrong?

Big thanks in advance,

Raido