Re: slowness mystery

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 3:05 AM, Rene Veerman <rene7705@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi..
>
> I've built a cms that's running into a serious speedbump.
> I load several sets of javascript through a custom built db
> caching&compression system.
> for
> the entire app, 112Kb javascript.
>
> The caching system first compresses/obfusicates the requested source-files,
> then gzcompress()es that and stores the result in my database.
>
> The next time the page is requested, the caching system detects the cached
> copy, and outputs that with an echo statement.
>
> One of these code bundles that i request takes over 6 full seconds to load.
> It's the same 122Kb obfusi-compressed to 52Kb.
> Even without obfusication, it takes 6 seconds to load when taken from the
> database.
> So it's not the browser being slow in parsing the obfusicated code.
> Firebug's "net"-tab shows this one snippet taking 6 seconds. I don't know
> exactly what that measures, just the transit time i hope..
>
> I suspected the database query, but retrieval takes less than a
> millisecond.
> So does the 'echo' statement that outputs it.
>
> I'm really puzzled as to what can cause such a delay.

i think putting the js in the database at all, and then using php to
retrieve it is unnecessary overhead.  i would put the cached contents on
disc, and refer browsers to a direct url.  maybe you could just put the
contents of one of your compressed files on disc, and request it from the
browser, time that, and see if it gets you anywhere.

also, i would check into some of the resources yahoo has in this dept.  for
example, the ySlow firebug plugin,

http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/
there are additional resources as well, and they even have a really slick js
compressor, freely available.  its so slick in fact, that it will reduce the
length of variable identifiers that are safe to do on because those
variables happen to be closures.  neat stuff.

-nathan