Re: Re: A Little Something.

Am 2008-05-21 13:28:08, schrieb tedd:
> Well then, all web sites are a privacy violation by your definition.

Not realy, since IF YOU are collecting data of customers/visiort you are
responsable for this stuff and for ANY misuse you can be sued.

> Web sites come standard with server logs and other data gatherers
> like Webalizer, which none notify the user that their access is being
> recorded.

Yes but by "European Law" you have to destruct the data after 3 month.

Otherwise your customers must aggree with you, e.g. signing  a  form  on
your website.

> However, all data collected in such logs can not be tracked back to a
> specific user, and thus they are not really a "privacy" violation.

Ehm?  I can anylyze logs and more by  cookies...  Google  is  settings
cookies in mass which then can be used by Google to identify the user.

> If I say that 43 percent of my web site's visitors come from Europe,
> and 30 percent use IE6 then it's not a privacy violation to collect
> this data because this data is not tied to a known specific user.

I was talking about your urchinTracker() which out of your control.

Google is advertising this service to INOCENT Website-Owner  which  then
put it into there webpages and then Google give  you  some  infos  about
your visitors back and you are happy...

But you do not know, WHAT Google does with the other infos collected...

You are helping Google to violate privacy.

> This is much like a traffic counter at on a roadway. Just because you
> drove over the counter does not constitute a violation of your
> privacy.

urchinTracker() does much more....

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)