Re: Re: A Little Something.

Am 2008-05-12 15:40:54, schrieb Stut:
> CSS, but I may not be understanding what you mean by blunt. Javascript
> can be written such that it eats CPU and/or memory but this is of no
> benefit to anyone so unless you're running on a prehistoric machine I
> can't see that being an issue. And it's worth noting that even if a
> script starts hammering the machine most browsers these days will
> notice that, suspend it and offer to kill it.

About yu "prehistoric machine" :

My Devel-Station is a "AMD Phenom Quad 9800", running  Debian  GNU/Linux
Unstable, Testing and Stable in Xen-DomU and I know a couple of Websites
where Mozilla/Iceape locks up to one minute, consuming 100% of  CPU-Time
and then showing a Message Box, that a Script  is  consuming  very  much
esources and if I continue, my Computer would not more responsive...

WTF?

> It is causing the error since it has blocked loading the external file
> but not the call to the code it contains. This, to me at least, seems
> half-arsed. The error only exists on the page if you deny it something
> that it needs to run correctly. IMHO the assumption that if the call

So forcing peoples to do things they do not want to do?

I do not know, what this urchinTacker() does,  but  since  it  is  named
"Tracker", I asume it is a tool, which collect infos about Websiteusers.
A thing I do not like since it is violation of my privacy.

> to the urchinTracker function can run then so can the script tag to
> pull in that code is pretty reasonable. In fact I make it all the time
> in the code I write and I think the same would go for 99.999% of
> developers using Javascript.

Ehm you mean, that I am one of those 0.001%?

Hmmm, I do not know a singel JavaScript Developer here in Strasbourg who
use it...

> Urchin Tracker is a simple(!) analytics package and poses no danger to
> you or your computer. In fact I would suggest it's anti-productive to
> block it since it prevents the sites you visit from using the data it
> provides to modify their site to make the experience better for you.

So collecting privacy infos about me?  --  No thanks!

> That error is caused by your use of selective Javascript-blocking
> technology, and while I work very hard to ensure the sites I develop
> work as well as possible without Javascript I think it's unreasonable
> to expect them to work with selective blocking.

Selective because urchinTacker() tracker is collecting  infos  about  me
which I do not want to give out!  --  Privacy violation!

If you use such tools, you have to warn users of your website, that  you
are collecting data otherwise you could be run into trouble...

> Well, some of his pages do but that's complicating the issue. As far
> as I can tell the only bit of Javascript common to all Tedd's pages is
> the Google Analytics code which is not required for you to use the
> site, it just enhances the ability for Tedd to analyse how people are
> using it.

Ahh, -- urchinTracker() is from Google.  :-)

And if used without  informing  users,  it  is  definitivly  a  privacy
violation.  At least in most EU countries like Germany and France.

> It can and I care greatly about security, but Javascript is very well
> locked down these days, and it's fairly difficult to get it to do
> anything malicious. Can it do annoying things, yes (but rarely these
> days, and usually only on 'special' sites), but I've not come across
> anything malicious for quite some time.

Since I am working mobile with my ThinkPad, I do not like to be  tracked
by this urchinTracker() crap since this mean, Google will track  ANY  of
my customers where I am working if I use the Internet...

This is not only a privacy violation, it is spionage...

This is HOW secret services (the NSA is using Google) are working.

> In summary I can understand where you're coming from, and it's totally
> your choice to use something that modifies your browsing experience,
> but to then complain that it's causing errors on the sites you visit
> is, to me, beyond ridiculous. That's all I was trying to point out.

I do not know in which country you are, but all peoples worldwide should
block such shit coming from at least the USA/GB/IL.

Note:  I am working for the french Ministry of Defense.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)