Re: web based chat app

IFrames have their issues cause they're meant to be separate documents;
making the documents interact is the challenge.

But I think you're going to have to use some sort of HTTP Streaming [
http://ajaxpatterns.org/HTTP_Streaming] to get it to receive messages
interactively.
You can use IFrames like the other project, periodic Ajax pings, or a Comet
framework [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(programming)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_%28programming%29>
].
There may be other methods, but those are all I've heard of.

As for Jabber, you may want to take a look at XMPP: http://www.xmpp.org/
It's the XML protocol and standards behind all Jabber development.

Also, you may try their Social mailing list:
http://www.jabber.org/discussion-lists
The entire purpose of the list is for helping enable Jabber in social
network sites.
Although, your discussion will probably need to be split up, since questions
about using Jabber in PHP generally belong on their JDev list.

- Jon L.