Re: web based chat app

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 1:56 AM, paragasu <paragasu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > im thinking you probly dont need a database unless you want to preserve
> chat history.
> i don't think chat history is necessary. but i need to keep some of the
> user chat session
> right?

well it should be better performing; however, if a session goes down then
the conversation is pretty much toast; or at least half toast.  id probly
stick it in memory or on a local filesystem..  hmm.  im starting to see
where sqlite could come in handy.

>hmm;  well you need to make the client side smart.. like dont actually fire
> off an http request >as often if the last 3 queries all resulted in no new
> message.
> i did ask google. one way is to use a counter. if no new message, then
> increase the counter.
> On the other hand, reset the counter to zero. the counter multiple with the
> request time will
> make the request slower.

i dunno; id probly just use something like i linked on the last post.  the
backend is php, so if nothing else you could look at the source.

anyone ever make use of /dev/shm on any php project?

i believe the sysv-ipc functions in php can give you access to that as well
(dont quote me tho; im to lazy to look it up atm :))

-nathan