Re: web based chat app

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:48 AM, paragasu <paragasu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> i am planning to integrate chat application on my website.
> the idea is to make online user on my website to chat to each other.
> it is using PHP5+jQuery, i want it to be as light as possible. I am not
> sure
> about the database to use, but i have 3 options.. file based, sqlite3 or
> mysql5.

im thinking you probly dont need a database unless you want to preserve chat
history.

i am thinking to use sqlite3 because it is fast but afraid it cannot handle
> many user
> request (i remember reading it is not so good for multiple user). It is
> also
> possible to use
> memory based storage /dev/shm (in debian based, i read somewhere - never
> tried yet)

it can actually handle a decent bit of concurrent traffic.  but obviously
not nearly as much as an all-out server.  and it doesnt have clustering
capabilities or anything like that..  but honestly, id really think about
what youll be using the database for here..

another issue is how to make it light.The chat script should refresh
> every 200ms  to get the best result or even 1 second still bring quite a
> load to the web server.

hmm;  well you need to make the client side smart.. like dont actually fire
off an http request as often if the last 3 queries all resulted in no new
message.

anyone ever run a web based application?

no this is only the php-general list; we typically write mainframe apps here
;)

or any chat based api i can use out there to save server resource?

im sure there are a number of tools you could just tie in w/o much hassle.
heres the top result from 'open source web chat' on google,

https://blueimp.net/ajax/

-nathan