Re: Should This Newbie Learn From Dreamweaver?

Welcome to PHP!  Please have exact change.

As a general rule, I distrust generated code in PHP, or in HTML.  I virtually
never use Dreamweaver (or its evil twin, FronPage), as the code it generates
is rarely what I want at the quality level I want.  Such code is designed for
the cut-and-paster.  Such code is how we ended up with the same MM_
Javascript functions that everyone used for a decade because DW would
autogenerate them for you, despite their not being that good and generating
lousy code that is difficult to maintain because the people "writing
Javascript" didn't actually have the slightest clue what they're doing.

You will get far better code by either writing it by hand yourself or using an
existing library that someone else with more experience than you wrote by
hand.  You will also learn more in the process.  (That could be a code
library or a framework, to nod to the other thread raging right now, but in
either case it's written by a human.)

Now, you can certainly study assisted code to see what it's doing and figure
out why, but remember that it's generated by a simple, dumb algorithm so it
is designed not for speed, readability, or quality, but safety against
cut-and-paste spoon-coding.  Never use it in actual production.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson