Re: Should This Newbie Learn From Dreamweaver?

On Apr 22, 2008, at 9:04 PM, revDAVE wrote:

First of all - I know this is an entirely subjective question, and I know there's no single approach to learning this technology. I'm just looking for
a few hints from seasoned professionals basically whether Dreamweaver
verbose code (at least it looks like that to me at this beginning point) is
all 'needed & necessary'...

I have a background using ColdFusion, however I am new to php / mySQL.

I am caught between two learning approaches:

1 - I know that generally, it is better to build my knowledge from the 'bottom up' - coding by hand from books and such etc. - and so far I have been doing that with php and mySQL. Slowly I am getting there. Php is quite
powerful and impressive.

When I first started learning PHP/MySQL just about a year ago, I started using dreamweaver 8, just for the code completion/syntax highlighting though... I wanted to be able to visually see where I missed a ' or a " type of thing.

One of the best ways I've found to learn everything though is to take a simple script that is close to what you want, and change it to fit your needs... You can learn alot about how other people code... Which always helped me.

Or do what tedd does.. Build an example of everything that gets asked on the list... See if you can figure it out, once you understand how to do it, fixing and extending it is much easier.

And in regards to the code you posted... That did seem a little verbose.. It probably works great being so specific and all... But my simple queries tend to work good most of the time as well :)