Re: php framework vs just php?

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 17:25 +0800, paragasu wrote:
> honestly, i never used any framework to do my coding.
> i look into few popular framework like cakePHP and codeIgiter.
> I did learn the tutorial but still decide whether to use it on my next
> project.
>
> the thing is, i already develop few working library. no matter how hard i
> look into it. i always find it is easier or simpler to work with just php
> code and it work just fine.
> simple code and i think faster than using complicated php framework.
>
> i target my code to use specific  server configuration. the only advantages
> of using framework
> is cross server version (i don't need it). since everyone out there talking
> about framework.
> i still prefer using just php.
>
> i just wondering whether i am the only one thinking this way.
> anyone out there still doing php without using framework?

There's plenty of people out there who don't believe in frameworks.
Nothing wrong with that-- to each their own. Only thing I would ask you
is whether you ever re-use any of your own code from one project to the
next? If you do, then chances are you're slowly creating your own
framework. And if you don't, well I probably wouldn't hire you because
obviously you do everything from scratch every time and are wasting the
client's time/money.

My clients benefit downstream whenever I add to my framework. A problem
solved two years ago is a problem still solved today, and I don't need
to copy and paste into their project and thus maintain multiple versions
of the same solution. I can just use the original solution since it's
inherently part of their project. I use a lazy system for loading
modules/components/services so having extra crap in my framework doesn't
have an impact on run-time. I don't use autoload, and I only use
includes/requires if I'm extending a class. Complexity is a mixed
deal... I would probably find your system far more complex since I've
abstracted away most of the complexity. Sure there are rules, but only a
few and even they are flexible.

Cheers,
Rob.
--