Re: PHP console script vs C/C++/C#

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 14:17 -0400, Nathan Nobbe wrote:

> statement
> > > >

> > > Nathan, I think we're disagreeing about the meaning of "algorithm" -
> an
> > > algorithm does not have an absolute performance until it's been
> > > implemented - in some of other language and machine.
> > >

> > i thought about that too..  i looked it up on wikipedia before i posted
> just
> > to be sure of myself.  the way i view it, there are 2 things an
> algorithm
> > could mean.  there are for instance well known algorithms like bubble
> sort
> > or quick sort, but basically any function written in any language is an
> > algorithm.  and wikipedia agrees w/ that statement.
>
> "Algorithm" is just a fancy word for recipe. In fact, you should ask a
> someone sometime what algorithm they're using to bake a cake ;)

great, so you agree, and my previous posts are right.

> > (according to you) in c or php then at that point it will have an
> absolute
> > performance.  and the likelihood its faster in c, absolutely, is very
> very
> > high :)
>
> > but either way i dont see why it matters, if you implement an algorithm
>
> If something written in C is slower than something in PHP, or slower
> even than something written in C++, then it's a problem with the
> implementation, not the language. The best C++ can do is match the speed
> of C. C++ has overhead, that overhead can't be squashed to be more
> efficient than C, it can only be removed when not necessary. Unless of
> course, for some odd, odd, odd reason, an optimization for C++ compiled
> code was not also added to C. Since any optimization that can make C++
> faster can also make C faster where appropriate. The same is true of
> memory consumption in C++ versus C.

ya; conceptually c should always be faster than c++, for the same reason c
should be faster than php.  i think the compiler optimizations is why c++ is
currently listed as 'faster' on the great computer language shootout, but i
havent looked at the tests.

-nathan