Re: PHP console script vs C/C++/C#

Nathan Nobbe wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Nick Stinemates
> <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I don't think there was a single place where I said PHP was faster
>> than C, nor did I imply it.
>
>> > Depends. Shitty algorithms are shitty, regardless of language
>> > implementation.
>
> implies that the same algorithm in different languages will not
> perform differently.  thats innacurate.

No, that is actually a very accurate statement.  An algorithm will
perform equally well regardless of the language chosen.  How well the
actual implementation performs overall is a separate issue.  The
performance or rather efficiency of an algorithm is usually expressed
in the big-O notation, e.g.  O(n), O(log(n)) etc.

A linear search is O(n), a quick sort is O(nlog(n)) (on average)  - both
perform equally bad or equally well regardless of which language you
choose to implement them in.

> the same algorithm w/o external dependencies, such as db calls, or
> calls to remote systems will run faster in java / c / c++ and others
> than it will in php.

An algorithm doesn't have external dependencies - but implementations
might.

/Per Jessen, Zürich