Re: & performance issues

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Eric Butera <eric.butera@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 4:57 AM, Bojan Tesanovic <btesanovic@xxxxxxxxx>
> >  wrote:
> >

> >  > in PHP5 by default Objects are passed by reference and as you can see
> at
> >  > this graph passing array by reference in PHP5 is slower
> >  > http://nathan.moxune.com/arrayVsArrayIteratorReport.php
> >

> >  wow, thats hilarious, thats my own chart :O  ROTFL
> >
> >  im glad somebody else thought something of it ;)
> >
> >  -nathan
> >

> I almost spit my water out when I saw that link directed at you.

good times!

>  Your
> work is famous!  ;)

well i do what i can :D

I don't have an actual answer as far as benchmarks go.  I've been
> converting all of my sites from php4 to 5 over the past 3 months
> stripping out &'s as I go.  I haven't noticed any differences myself
> though.  But then again I've been adding in type hints and visibility
> too so I'm sure that isn't helping.

yea; i hadnt thought of the overhead of adding visibility / type hinting
in.  but if im adding those, either way; the extra cost from the & can be
gained back if theyre yanked.

I'm always pimping Xdebug, so just remember it will show you where
> your real bottlenecks are instead of guessing.  *shrug*

xdebug is da bomb; thats what i used to build the charts from the
performance report ;)

ok, so heres what im thinking.  any functions that return by reference can
safely be changed, right?  so i could do a mass replace like this

find: 'function &'
replace: 'function '

note, there is a space after function in the replace.  i think the only
reason to use return by reference is when returning an object to avoid
getting a copy back in the php4 days.  the rest im thinking can be done by
hand as time goes on.  waddya all think?

thx,

-nathan