PHP Serialization Performance

I'm using PHP to cache files that are backed by the database.  In the
course of writing these functions, I end up with a set of variables
that are needed by my application, returned in an array.  I can either
directly generate the array in a .php file, then use require_once to
get that variable, or I can use PHP serialization, write that array
out to a file, then in my application read the array in, deserialize,
etc.

I spent awhile trying to look at the performance of php serialization,
but except for one unsubstantiated comment on the php serialize() doc
page, I haven't found much.  Does anyone have any knowledge of that,
and also of the two approaches in general?  The pro of the
serialization is that I think it's slightly easier to write, but the
con is that it's harder to read.

Thanks!