Re: PHP Serialization Performance

I'm using PHP to cache files that are backed by the database.  In the
course of writing these functions, I end up with a set of variables
that are needed by my application, returned in an array.  I can either
directly generate the array in a .php file, then use require_once to
get that variable, or I can use PHP serialization, write that array
out to a file, then in my application read the array in, deserialize,
etc.

I spent awhile trying to look at the performance of php serialization,
but except for one unsubstantiated comment on the php serialize() doc
page, I haven't found much.  Does anyone have any knowledge of that,
and also of the two approaches in general?  The pro of the
serialization is that I think it's slightly easier to write, but the
con is that it's harder to read.

Not taking into account the actual performance (you must decide how important this is to you), the quickest to implement would be a combination of serialize(), unserialize(), file_put_contents() and file_get_contents().

Using these functions you could very quickly create a persistent cache for data. It might be quicker though to use a cache that's already out there.

--
Richard Heyes
Employ me: