Re: Memory limit of 8 MB not enough

Dave M G wrote:

> I contacted my web host provider, and they recommended increasing the
> allowed allocation limit in "/etc/php.ini".
>
> Right now my allocation limit, assuming I'm looking at the right
> setting is 8 megabytes:
>
> memory_limit = 8M      ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume
> (8MB)
>
> What would be a recommended size? While I want to have enough to work
> with large images, I don't want to overload the server.

Unless you are constrained by memory in general, I would say 64M.  But
check how much memory you have and how many pictures you expect to
process concurrently.

> Actually, I have no idea what the potential dangers are.

Using up all available memory is the only real "risk".  It might lead to
swapping which in turn will most likely increase response times.

/Per Jessen, Zürich