RE: Frameworks

I'm not kidding about the *REAL RAD* thing. RAD is Rapid Application
Development, and I don't think anything can be faster than dragging a button
component on a *form-like* window, then double clicking on it, writing *echo
"Hello World!"* and hit F9. There you are, you got a *Hello world* in some
seconds, no need for special set up, or writing controller/model/view code
whatsoever. However, I wouldn't use Delphi for PHP because it's a proprietary
thing, it's a fat dog and you must pay some REAL bucks for it. And... as soon as
you get more serious with what you want to do, you need to get very close with
the code behind the scenes... which means you have to put much more time and
effort than you would need for a *standard* MVC framework. Sorry, not something
I'm willing to do for a web application. I prefer coding controllers, models and
views. That's also why I'm reactive to sniff into Prado or even QCodo (which I
think disserves some attention to me, because of the underlying *build system*).

Compare that to a ZF component... once you learn it, you can use it wherever you
want (generally), even if you are not using ZF for the MVC part (take
Zend_Http_Client, Zend_Pdf as examples).

Now, take CodeIgniter... I liked it because it had many *out-of-the-box*
features and components. Also, some clients still had PHP 4 and I couldn't do
anything about it. Dealing with it is fairly easy (don't expect cutting-edge
magic out of its components though). I fell in love with rapyd
http://www.rapyd.com/ which is based on CodeIgniter and simplifies most backend
tasks a bunch. But now, rapyd is discontinued (the CI version at least) and we
have kohanaPHP as an alternative (http://kohanaphp.com/). To make it worse,
CodeIgniter took several (I think more than 6) months to upgrade from 1.5.4 to
1.6. Why? Because they rely on integrating it with their commercial *Expression
Engine* product (and they even stated that in their forums). And the
*framework-nightmare* started all over again for me.

Wanna know what I'm planning to do? Embrace the Zend Framework, it's solid, it's
powerful, it's got a company behind and it's still free. And now that PHP 4 has
been discontinued, I have the perfect *excuse* to say NO to whatever project has
PHP 4 for hosting... They upgrade their PHP version, or they take our PHP 5
hosting offer, or they can go elsewhere for a quote. PERIOD.

You must be very careful what framework you choose if it's critical for your
daily work, otherwise you'd better off not picking a framework but building your
own *baby* (reinventing the wheel has the advantage of giving you full control
over the engineering process... you can build a wheel that sucks, but it is
still your wheel and you have full control over it, you know it, and you can
make it better).

And about IQ, I think I got 142 on a test I did long time ago, the normal range
was near 100 (say 90-110 or 80-120, can't remember). I have built some
components of my own, and several function libraries and such... I just inducted
that at least 150 is a good starting point to be able to *put it all together*
in a framework-like fashion, which I couldn't do so far.

I wasn't kidding about Robert or Manuel. Knowledge flows in their veins. Robert
has a framework of his own and Manuel has the (possibly) biggest directory of
stand-alone classes and had developed some *monsters* such as Metabase, long
before PDO was known and adopted.

Anyway... you will get one thousand opinions about Frameworks, and 90% of them
may be correct. Choose the framework you like after playing around with some
examples and having an overview of the reference manual (forgot to say,
documentation is really important to get you started).

Regards,

Rob(inet)

Andrés Robinet | Lead Developer | BESTPLACE CORPORATION
5100 Bayview Drive 206, Royal Lauderdale Landings, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308 |
TEL 954-607-4296 | FAX 954-337-2695 |
Email: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  | MSN Chat: best@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  |  SKYPE: bestplace |
 Web: bestplace.biz  | Web: seo-diy.com