Re: Question about user management...

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 4:07 PM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 3:14 PM -0400 3/10/08, Daniel Brown wrote:
>  >On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Jason Pruim <japruim@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  >

> >>   What I was thinking about doing was a combination of the company name
>  >>   (Which I set right now) and then a access level such as "50" for the
>  >>   "Owner" of the program, "40" for the "Managers" and "30" for the
>  >>   "user" of the program. also leaving me room to add other levels if
>  >>   required..
>  >
>  >     I generally do the same basic thing for permission levels, but a
>  >reverse of what you're attempting to do.
>  >
>  >     The superuser (AKA root, administrator, God, whatever) has GID 0,
>  >just like on a *NIX system.  This is because it's the highest level
>  >you can reach, and 0 is the lowest real number you can use.  Thus, you
>  >can add a virtually-infinite number of lesser users, as opposed to
>  >being limited to 50, as in your case.
>
>  Yeah, but then if you try to add a super-superuser you have to go negative. :-)
>
>  Why not just define the users with define CONSTANT statement and use
>  that? Then the different types of users can be anything you want and
>  you can change the value easily if there's a problem.
>
>  Really, all the value really has to be is unique -- you could use
>  unique() for that, such as:
>
>  define("ADMIN", md5(uniqid(rand(), true)););
>  define("GENERAL_USER", md5(uniqid(rand(), true)););
>  define("LEVEL_ONE__USER", md5(uniqid(rand(), true)););
>  define("LEVEL_TWO__USER", md5(uniqid(rand(), true)););
>  define("WHATEVER__USER", md5(uniqid(rand(), true)););
>
>  and so on. That would work and you'll never have to be concerned
>  about it nor worry about someone guessing it, if that becomes a
>  problem.
>
>  Am I right?
>
>  Cheers,
>
>  tedd
>
>  PS: Oh, I just received the following email and thought I would pass it on:
>
>  HELLO,
>  MY NAME IS AGNES IN SEARCH OF A MAN WHO UNDERSTANDS THE MEANING OF
>  LOVE AS TRUST AND FAITH IN EACH OTHER RATHER THAN ONE WHO SEES LOVE
>  AS THE ONLY  WAY OF FUN BUT A MATURED MAN WITH NICE VISION OF WHAT
>  THE WORLD IS ALL ABOUT SO PLEASE REPLY  ME WITH THIS BOX IF YOU ARE
>  INTERESTED IN ME.
>
>  Anyone want a woman who yells all the time?
>
>  --
>  -------
>  http://sperling.com  http://ancientstones.com  http://earthstones.com
>

>  --

I sometimes set stuff up like this:

user
userId

user_permission
userId permissionId

permission
permissionId sort

Then the level of said permission is based on the rank "sort" value.
That way if you want to add a super super user, just change that
value.

But I also map these to constants like you said too.  Using all those
unique id calls is going to really be slow FWIW.  Every permission
system is fairly unique in the apps I program though so nothing is
really set in stone.