Re: Question about user management...

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Jason Pruim <japruim@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Everyone, Happy Monday to all of you!
>
>  I am trying to think through a user management issue for a application
>  I am working on. What I want to do, is be able to provide a multi user
>  environment (All accessing the same page, but depending on company
>  name they get different data) and be able to give certain people the
>  ability to add/remove users.
>
>  What I was thinking about doing was a combination of the company name
>  (Which I set right now) and then a access level such as "50" for the
>  "Owner" of the program, "40" for the "Managers" and "30" for the
>  "user" of the program. also leaving me room to add other levels if
>  required..

    I generally do the same basic thing for permission levels, but a
reverse of what you're attempting to do.

    The superuser (AKA root, administrator, God, whatever) has GID 0,
just like on a *NIX system.  This is because it's the highest level
you can reach, and 0 is the lowest real number you can use.  Thus, you
can add a virtually-infinite number of lesser users, as opposed to
being limited to 50, as in your case.

--
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek
<? while(1) { $me = $mind--; sleep(86400); } ?>