Re: Flexible Shopping Cart (was: Shopping Carts)

Manuel Barros Reyes wrote:
> I've sent a message some hours ago and committed the mistake of
> including it inside of an already started thread, don't know if
> someone read it.
>
> The details are in that thread but basically what I am looking for is
> a shopping cart that has flexibility with respect to the graphical
> layout of elements and their appearance  as well as the ability to
> extend the framework with custom functionalities.
>
> Don't have good experience with oscommerce because of the way the
> layout is set with tables, it doesn't give much freedom and couln't
> find good docs about it. Saw Zen Cart and it looks promising but have
> no experience on it.
>
> Listen to your suggestions.
> Thanks again.

I would very strongly sway you against oscommerce.  I wrote a theme
system that is wildly popular for phpnuke and postnuke cmss (AutoTheme)
and had some that wanted it for oscommerce.  I moded  my code for
oscommerce, but it was a serious bitch.  It may do as advertised, but it
is tightly coded and leaves no room for additions.  To do *anything*
requires hacking core files, after sifting through crap code to try and
figure how it works, then hack it to what you want.

I once installed zencart and have never used it, but at the point where
people wanted my theme system for zencart I started trying to port it.
It was my lack of enthusiasm that kept it from happening, but from what
I remember it was s rewrite of oscommerce of sorts but a modular system,
  where they coded it in such a fashion that you could add modules, not
hack core code to get the functionality that you needed.

Not sure how the development has progressed but my 2 cents.

-Shawn