Re: Guidance

At 3:59 PM -0500 2/27/08, Daniel Brown wrote:
   It is.  And in my opinion, web developers - specifically
PHP-on-*nix developers - are cream-of-the-crop programmers.  Not to
toot my own horn.

Blattttttt... fllit.

    We know - and are not afraid to use - the following technologies,
and employ them on a daily basis:
        * PHP

<Good to have, but not needed>
(and usually at least a working knowledge of C/C++ and
some others)
</Good to have, but not needed>

        * HTML
        * JavaScript
        * AJAX
        * Web design
        * Human Interface/Graphical User Interface (GUI) layout and design
        * SQL (specifically MySQL, but many also know PostgreSQL,

Agreed.

-snip- a bunch of stuff I still don't know (I rely on you and this list for that). :-)

I would include DOM scripting and understanding what the current buzz words mean (i.e., graceful degradation, unobtrusive code, accessible, functional, secure, and compliant).

        * .... and that's ON TOP of what we all know how to do on Windows.

Don't include that windozes quagmire stuff -- I never did it, I don't know how, and I reuse to learn. I'll go back to programming rocks before I succumb to windozes. But, I can still do web stuff.

    So let this be at least a basic retort to those who don't consider
web development "real programming."  Because you'd be surprised how
much I hear, "oh, you work with web stuff, I thought you meant you
were a real programmer."

I heard that same crap developing software for the Mac, but programming is programming.

I think if someone really learns html AND css, they will have a good foundation to move up to other web languages.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------