Re: All Survey leading to PHP

tedd wrote:
At 9:42 AM -0500 2/22/08, Robert Cummings wrote:
On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 09:33 -0500, tedd wrote:
 At 3:43 AM +0530 2/22/08, Allan Fernandes wrote:
>I am aware that reverse engineering can be done to every program, and no one >may bother to really take too much trouble to reverse engineer it. All the >same I do not want it to be as simple as a java decompiler wherein the code >is regenerated from a jar file to perfection. Not so easy to break a Delphi
 >Exe.
 >
>I am not used to such fantastic support. Good team work out here. Thanks.
 >
 >Regards
 >Allan Fernandes

 I, for one, don't care if someone steals my code or not.

 If a client hires me to do something, whatever code I write is his --
 that's simple enough.

 I wasted more years than I am willing to admit trying to protect
 code, there's no doing it. And this is especially true on the net
 where you can't even guarantee that a password is safe.

 So, my advice -- write good code, pick up your check, and move one to
 the next client. Stop worrying about protecting your code and hope
 that you get good enough that someone wants to steal it.

BAD IDEA BUSTER!!! Always backup your code so it's protected from
crashes!!

;)

Rob:

Did you forget to take your meds this morning? I'm not talking about backup. :-)

But you did raise a point I forgot to mention.

When I write something for a client, it's his. But, it's also mine to be reused as I see fit. I am not above selling the same code to several different clients.

Cheers,

tedd

I tend to follow the same pattern, however I say that the "application" or website as the clients call it is entirely there's, however all classes/objects/code snippets/javascripts [basically anything re-usable] remains property of your's truely with indefinate usage right's given to the client.

Protecting source: I've got a very simple view point on this, I use linux servers, I can go into the source of everything on the entire machine and modify or copy it, so why then should my application built using open source software, running on an open source platform, through an open source web server with an open source database behind it choose to use closed source?

I suppose one way of looking at it is, if your codes that good that people want to re-use it, then let them, help them and gain the credit and respect that goes with it. Just document it up, attribute credit where credit's due and GPL your code (or another more restricive license).

Another simple solution is to host all app's on your own server to which only you have access - although odds are your still going to have to give the source to the clients so null and voided?

I concurr completely, the support from the PHP community is fantastic, even the documentation is far superior to any other language that I've used. Help is a plenty, examples are everywhere, and there's code ready built on the net for almost everything.

One further point:
I develop on a windows server 2003 machine, I test locally in apache2 and IIS.
I then upload to one of several linux machines [ubuntu, debian, rhel].
No recompiling, no messing about, just upload and run; as far as "languages to make websites in" go, you won't get much better bar possibly a python/xul combo but again I think php win's again due to the sheer amount of add-on's and open source scripts available.

Just a random ramble,

Nathan
14th March :D