RE: PHP Source code protection

On Thu, February 7, 2008 8:35 pm, Andrés Robinet wrote:
> 1 - I believe the fact that we don't "encode" (read "compile") our
> scripts is
> tightly related to the fact that we don't have a bytecode interpreter
> (say JIT
> compiler or something?) bundled into PHP.

Errrrr.

PHP has a bytecode interpreter in the Zend Engine...

That's kinda what it *does*

It's not a JIT, however, at this time, though there's always talk on
internals@ about making it more and more JIT-like.

The various caching mechanisms (Zend Cache Accelerator, APC, etc) all
store the bytecode version of the PHP script, not the original source.

This provides a TINY performance benefit, which is completely dwarfed
by not hitting the hard disk to read the PHP script, and costs almost
nothing since it's basically the difference between this psuedo C
code:

.
.
.
script = fread(fp, 1000000000);
cache(script);
bytecode = parse(script);
.
.
.

and this:
.
.
.
script = fread(fp, 1000000000);
bytecode = parse(script);
cache(bytecode);
.
.
.

You can rely on the bytecode interpreter being there, as that's what
the Zend Engine *is*.

This does not necessarily make your other points invalid -- but they
cannot be based around the [incorrect] facts you stated. :-)

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?