Re: LVS (was: Session and Multi Server Architecture)

Nathan Nobbe wrote:

> i mean, i do understand the vserver concept, is LVS essentially the
> same as v-server,
> http://linux-vserver.org/Welcome_to_Linux-VServer.org ?

Hi Nathan,

they're two very different things.  The VServer project makes multiple
servers out of one, LVS makes multiple physical servers appear as one.

With LVS you can basically have e.g. 50 physical boxes accessed as if
they were just one big server.

> also, i dont understand how LVS is used to implement a 'persistent'
> session.  allow me to explain my disconnect..  so you are using
> virtual servers on a real system; what benefit, in the context of
> sessions does this provide over a single machine w/ 1 os?  another
> fundamental disconnect is, how are you using these
> machines to store session state, a network filesystem?

Each physical server will store session information locally, probably on
a local filesystem.  Depending on your needs you could have a
distributed filesystem or a DRDB setup, but you'd have other reason for
having those.

> also, in terms of scalability, isnt facebook proof that
> memcache can scale?

I'd misunderstood how memcached works, hence my misguided comment about
it's lack of scalability.

/Per Jessen, Zürich