Re: first php 5 class

On 1/30/08, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> up arrow works just fine.  history is gone if it crashes, but
>  if you exit gracefully, eg. with quit, then the history will be there.
> maybe youre using debian or some other silly os; i run gentoo

Gentoo is a damn fun distro I must admit.. but using it for anything
besides a development server seems very risky to me.  You've got the
Gentoo creat0r running off to lick salt with the M$ weiners up in WA
right when Gentoo was peaking in popularity.  In less than a year he
realizes his mistake and comes back crying wanting to control stuff
again as if he had never left.  Then just recently the Gentoo
leadership forgot to renew the non-profit tax status paperwork!?!?
With all that spare time waiting for things to compile I figured they
wouldn't have forgotten about such an important task.  Do they not
having meetings or whatever?

And where's my 2007.1 release?  At the start we were getting a new
Gentoo release four times a year.  Then it went to two, then last year
was just one.  Contrary to what you may think, `emerge -uND` is not an
upgrade path, at least not for a serious server deployment.  The
bottom line is emerge breaks things, and the older the Gentoo install,
the more likely the breakage will occur.

Why do I even have to deal with etc-update?  Who has time for all that
silliness?  Obviously you and not me, but that's life.  Sooner or
later you too will get tired of cleaning up behind emerge.  Took me
like two years I guess.  I like my Linux stable, and Gentoo is not
stable, especially not right now.

> and there is no prob w/ php -a.  although i wont lie; it seems to
> be jacked on all the debian systems ive tried :(

I compiled my PHP from source so the jacking may be of my own doing, I
don't know.  See anything in my config that might prevent it from
working?

/configure --prefix=/usr/local/php5
--with-config-file-path=/usr/local/php5/lib
--with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs --with-gettext --with-gd
--with-jpeg-dir --with-png-dir --with-freetype-dir --with-xpm-dir
--with-mcrypt --with-mhash --with-curl --enable-mbstring --with-zlib
--enable-ftp --enable-sockets --enable-bcmath --with-bz2 --enable-zip
--with-mysql --without-iconv
--with-oci8=instantclient,/opt/oracle/instantclient_10_2
--with-pdo-oci=instantclient,/opt/oracle/instantclient_10_2,10.2
--with-pdo-mysql --with-pdo-pgsql --with-pgsql --with-ldap
--with-openssl --with-ldap-sasl

> you can host the php docs on a local webserver if you like, or download
> them; there is even a chm version:
>
> http://us2.php.net/docs-echm.php

Right, but it's not integrated like gems are.  When you install a gem
the docs are created by rdoc for you on the fly using the gem's Ruby
code itself.  As a result you can't not get current api docs when you
install a gem.

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com/