Re: first php 5 class

On Jan 30, 2008 3:11 PM, Greg Donald <gdonald@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think your perception is correct.  But Perl is very powerful too,
> and not so many people use it for new web development either.. with
> list serve traffic being my reference.
>
> SPL's main drawback for me personally is carpal tunnel syndrome, I
> don't have it and I don't care to acquire it.

i sortof enjoy having php on the backend and javascript on the client side.
it lets be bounce around between paradigms.  as per the ruby / prototype
integration, i will say, that is one nice component, that i actually use all
the time now.  infact, im on the rails-spinoffs mailing list where we discuss
prototype.
i read a book, 'prototype and scriptaculous in action'; learned a ton of course.
nowadays, my webapps have the web 2.0 buzz.  but as far as the generation
of javascript on the server side, i still have mixed feelings.  the case made by
rhino is, your favorite java editor, your current java debugger and
you dont have
to learn another language.  well, i suppose the case is somewhat similar for the
rails / prototype integration.
javascript is actually quite a complex language and its funny because
people will
always say things like, its such a nice 'little' language.  if youre
not familiar w/
functional languages w/ closures and so forth, anonymous objects and
functions, etc..
javascript can be really confusing!  i would extend this as a good
reason to understand
the language.  but what a hippocrate i am, since im using propel to
get away from
sql :)  to each his own, indeed.

what id like to know, since you seem to know so much about the ruby on
rails framework,
is, what sort of debugging support is there?  this is a weak spot in
php to be sure.  ive
tried multiple clients w/ xdebug w/ marginal success at this point.

-nathan