Re: Re: Posting Summary for Week Ending 18 January, 2008: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

David Powers wrote:

> I wasn't referring to that, but to the thoughtless way that you and
> others automatically include the sender's email address in plain text
> every time you respond to a post. Surely it's not too much to ask that
> you set your mail program or newsreader so that it doesn't display the
> address?

I think David is making a good point here.  I've never actually looked
at it myself, but my knode and thunderbird both only use the name of
the sender, not the email-address, when adding the "so-and-so wrote:"
line.

> By publishing a weekly list of email addresses,
> you're just making life easier for the spam merchants.

I would tend to agree with that.  Besides, the posting stats will loose
nothing if the email-address is removed.

>> That's because it has nothing to do with the PHP site or project.
>> It's a private project intended to be of interest to those who post
>> here.  And you're here as well.
>
> Whoah, hang on a moment. It has everything to do with the PHP site and
> project. It's hosted on the php.net news server.

The mailing list yes, but not Daniels statistics.

> When I subscribed to the PHP general mailing list I did not give
> permission for this. This is an international list, and what you're
> doing breaks EU privacy laws, and possibly those in other countries
> too.

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that.  By participating on a public mailing
list, you accept that your postings and your email-address may be
essentially be sent to all and sundry.

/Per Jessen, Zürich