Re: Don't search for domains on Network Solutions...

In news: ab5568160801161205h6004a948ub08942c2e17694d8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
"Daniel Brown"  wrote :
>> On Jan 16, 2008 2:29 PM, Eric Butera <eric.butera@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> It obviously isn't related to PHP.  I figured that most of us are in
>>> the business of making web applications for clients that are
>>> accessed through a domain at some point, so I sent it as a general
>>> warning to people.
>>>
>>> My company has recommended people to use it as a simple starting
>>> point of figuring out what domain name they think they might like.
>>> Of course we never use them for anything other than that, but I
>>> guess the joke is on us in the end, right? :)
>>
>>    Eric,
>>
>>    If you're using a *nix system, try this.  I just whipped it up
>> now, so it's not going to be perfect, but it will give accurate
>> results, without risking any kind of "domain hoarding" (which is
>> ridiculous, and companies should be fined for it, in my opinion):
>>
>> <?
>>
>> if(!isset($argv[1])) {
>>        die("Usage: ".$argv[0]." domain.com\n");
>> }
>>
>> $domain = $argv[1];
>>
>> exec('`which dig` '.$domain,$ret,$err);
>>
>> if($err) {
>>        die("ERROR: ".$err."\n");
>> }
>>
>> for($i=0;$i<count($ret);$i++) {
>>        if(preg_match('/status: (.*),/Ui',$ret[$i],$status)) {
>>                switch($status[1]) {
>>                        case "NXDOMAIN":
>>                                echo "Domain is not registered.\n";
>>                                break;
>>                        case "NOERROR":
>>                                echo "Domain is registered.\n";
>>                                break;
>>                        default:
>>                                echo "Unknown status.\n";
>>                                break;
>>                }
>>        }
>> }
>>>

>> --
>> </Dan>
>>
>> Daniel P. Brown
>> Senior Unix Geek and #1 Rated "Year's Coolest Guy" By Self Since
>> Nineteen-Seventy-[mumble].

This may help as well,Ive used for sometime now with out problem..
http://www.cyberstrider.net/index.php?page=wewbo

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk
Superb hosting & domain name deals http://host.kick-butt.co.uk