Re: Ham marked as Spam with BAYES_99 - PhpMailer to old?

Richard Lynch schrieb:
On Tue, December 18, 2007 8:41 am, Merlin Morgenstern wrote:
I am running a small community page with PHP. Members can select
notification e-mails on comments etc.

Since today those e-mails - or basically all e-mails from the system -
get taged as spam with a score of 3.5 that totally results to
BAYES_99.

How come? I am using PHP-Mailer 1.73. I am wondering if this will go
away if I upgrade to 2.0. However I would rather not like to do that
as a .0 release makes me a bit worried.

Does anybody have an idea on how to eleminate that BAYES_99 score?
Those
mails are absolutly no spam. They contain a link to the commment page
but that should not be the problem. At least it was not a problem for
the last years.

Any ideas?

Bayes usually refers to the Bayseian (sp?) algorithm where the system
"learns" what is junk based on users' marking things as spam.

So if you add a bunch of people to your list that don't expect to be
on it, and they all mark your email as spam, whammo, all your emails
are marked as spam.

Or so I understand it...

Or possibly mis-understand it. :-v

That sounds logical. However those e-mails are opt-in. So it is very unlikely that this has happend. I also checked red lists etc.

I believe that I did not configure the server well and the php sending function so that the header is missing important settings or so. After all the Bayes_99 is the only spam trigger.

Unfortunatelly I can only find postings on the net where people talk about how to tweak their spamassasin filtering. Nobody who sends e-mails seams to have a problem. Is that only me? (and of course the spamers :-) ).

I tried to send it directly from unix command: mail -s "This is a test" email@xxxxxxxxxxx

That one gets flaged with bayes_50 (spam score 0). After all most of the e-mails I receive in my private account are even bayes_00 (-2.x).

Do you believe it is the IP-Adress? I could not find it anywhere on the red lists. All looks clean.

Any ideas?

Thank you for any hints,

Merlin