Why I sart getting "Fatal error: Allowed memory size..." after php upgrade?

The hosting company I have one account (and several Add Domains)
upgraded php on the server from 4.4.7 to 5.2.5. After the upgrade I
start getting the error message:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to
allocate 122880 bytes) in...
on domains they use Gallery2 or are CMS (Joomla or Drupal) based.

I contacted Tech. Support (Live Chat) and he told me I have to edit
memory limit in php.ini (for each domain).

I asked him why it started so suddenly, did upgrade caused the problem
and I got as an answer: "Your scripts have begun to use more memory.
That would be the only reason for this error."
It doesn't make a sense to me and sounds like "let's blame something
else" type of answer.

I'm going to edit php.ini though what if "client" doesn't have a clue
what's php.ini or how to do it?

I would like to hear your opinion what caused the problem.
I'll edit php.ini, I'm not going to make a big deal of it, though, I
just want to know why it happened.

Thanks for help.

-afan