Re: Mysqli support - test or complain? [SOLVED]

Robert Cummings wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 18:14 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
>> I have been trying hard not to join this thread, but ... apart from
>> the principle, what's _really_ so poor about it?  Having to write
>> application code that needs to work with two different APIs is poor
>> enough, using a session variable for keeping a status won't make it
>> much worse.  So what if the status is server-scope, yet kept in
>> user-scope.  In particular if the app already uses session storage.
>
> It's bad because it places data in a storage area not related to the
> kind of configuration being tracked. Sessions are for managing user
> and user related data. This particular value is related to the server
> in general. It places a large WTF factor on the code for anyone down
> the road maintaining it.

Possibly, but nothing that a single line comment won't explain.  Making
a potentially poor decision is bad, but explaining why takes most of
the sting out of it.

> It may be true that nobody else will ever
> manage this code, but it's unlikely. I absolutely agree with you
> though, the whole design is off. The best way to do this IMHO is to
> use a singleton class that only loads the appropriate library type.

I can't remember what sort of environment the OP was in, but if any sort
of organised testing is done, the use of two different APIs will just
about double the test-effort.  Which is why I still think the best
option is to mandate _one_ of the APIs and choose your hoster
accordingly.

/Per Jessen, Zürich